Our Mission: Mobilizing resources to empower the greater Muscatine community to improve the lives of people in need
Our Bold Goal: Increase household independence through education and housing
Self-Sufficiency in Muscatine County
Self-sufficiency isn’t just a problem for the unemployed or those in poverty. Many hard-working families struggle each day and are faced with tough financial decisions.
According to the recent United Way ALICE Report for Iowa…
- 38% of Muscatine County households struggle to meet a basic needs budget each month.
- While 12% of households are below the Federal Poverty Level, an additional 26% aren’t able to meet their needs each month.
- A family of four in Muscatine County would need to earn $31.37 per hour, or just under $63,000 annually, to meet all of their needs each month.
- Over 50% of households don’t have enough set aside to cover three months of expenses for emergencies.
In order to make a difference for area families, United Way of Muscatine is focusing on the root causes of education and training, as well as affordable and sustainable housing, while still supporting household stability by providing funding for food, shelter, and crisis stabilization.
ALICE stands for Asset-Limited, Income-Constrained, Employed. ALICE is not an individual person, but the report does give an identity and voice to people who work hard, are above the Federal Poverty Level and yet struggle to make ends meet — people we call ALICE.
The most recent ALICE report for Iowa can be found HERE.
The most recent ALICE report for Muscatine County can be found HERE.
Education & Training
These goals are the same as those of Aligned Impact Muscatine County (AIM) to leverage the work of education and training programs in the community and further drive collaboration. In order to receive funding in the education and training space, programs must be working towards at least one of these goals and must participate in the relevant AIM Strategy Network.
United Way of Muscatine has four goals in the education and training area:
Every Child Enters Kindergarten Ready to Learn
Every Child Succeeds Academically Through Support In and Out of School
Every Student Graduates from High School Prepared for Post-secondary Education or Career Training
Every Adult Has the Education, Training, and Skills to Obtain a Career That Can Sustain a Family
These goals align with the goals of the Muscatine Housing Cluster to leverage the work of housing programs in the community and further drive collaboration. In order to receive funding in the housing area, programs must be working towards at least one of these goals and must participate in the Muscatine Housing Cluster.
We know that there is a lot of work being done on housing in the community. United Way of Muscatine is doing our part to align our goals and work with the many other organizations that are making an impact in this area across Muscatine.
United Way of Muscatine has two goals in the housing area:
Every Household Can Afford Their Housing
Every Household Can Sustain Their Housing
Education and Training
- Crossroads Inc – Crossroads High School Mentor Program
- Flickinger Learning Center – After School Program
- Flickinger Learning Center – Teen Support Program
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois – Leadership Development Program
- Imagination Library Muscatine County
- Iowa Jobs for America’s Graduates (iJAG) – iJAG: Creating Inclusive Career Pathways for Underserved Youth in Muscatine
- ISU Extension & Outreach – Latinx Outreach/Salir Adelante
- Lutheran Services in Iowa – HOPES
- Muscatine Community YMCA – Character Development
- Muscatine Community YMCA – Family Program Services
- Muscatine Community YMCA – Special Olympics
- Muscatine Community YMCA – Big Brothers Big Sisters
- The Salvation Army of Muscatine County – Safe Haven After School / KidZone Day Camp
- UnityPoint Health – Trinity Muscatine Public Health – Adolescent Sexual Health Education
- UnityPoint Health – Trinity Muscatine Public Health – Early Childhood Oral Health Programs
- Community Action of Eastern Iowa – Weatherization Deferral Remediation
- Crossroads Inc. – Senior Resources Chore
- Crossroads Inc. – Senior Resources Home Repair
- Muscatine Center for Social Action (MCSA) – Homeless Prevention Program
- Muscatine Municipal Housing Agency – City of Muscatine Home Ownership Program
- Muscatine Municipal Housing Agency – City of Muscatine Housing Counseling
- Rebuilding Together Muscatine County – Emergency Home Repairs
- Rebuilding Together Muscatine County – Safe at Home
- American Red Cross – Disaster Services
- Crossroads Inc – Senior Resources Meals on Wheels
- Family Resources, Inc. – Counseling and Therapy Program
- Family Resources, Inc. – Survivor Services
- Muscatine Center for Social Action (MCSA) – Domestic Violence Shelter Operations
- Muscatine Center for Social Action (MCSA) – Food Pantry
- Muscatine Center for Social Action (MCSA) – Shelter Operations
- Muscatine Legal Services – Crisis Legal Aid